Schedule below is subject to change as we get closer to race. (updated 3-20-17)
2017 BSC RACE SCHEDULE
REGISTRATION – Open online Jan. 20 through March 19, 2017. See Race Entry page. Deadline is March 19 at 11:59 p.m. See Registration page for details. After March 19 late registration at bib pickups only in Whitehorse on Thursday, March 23 and in Skagway on Friday, March 24 (see below).
ROOMS STILL AVAILABLE!!! – Try these hotels and B&Bs: Sgt. Preston’s at 907-983-2521, Skagway Inn at 1-888-752-4929; Mile Zero at 907-983-3045, White House at 907-983-9000, Morning Wood at 907-983-2200, Chilkoot Trail Outpost in Dyea at 907-983-3799; Also, Mike Healy may have some rooms available in his housing. Call 907-973-2337; Bites on Broadway may have 1-2 rooms above the coffee shop. Call 907-982-2166.
PRIZE FOR BEST COSTUME – Upper Dewey Lake cabin package this summer from Skagway Rec. Center with flight by TEMSCO, and catered by The Mountain Shop.
BECOME A MEMBER & WIN – Special Members-only drawing for a pair of skis at the banquet! Second and third prizes are free entries in the 2018 race.
SUPPORT OUR LOG CABIN WARMING HUT FUND – Make a donation on your registration form or purchase the Buckwheat Ski Classic 30th Anniversary DVD at the Race Banquet.
Restaurants open in Skagway during race weekend:
Glacial Smoothies & Espresso (6:30 a.m. -4 p.m. Fri, 7-3 Sat-Sun), Bites on Broadway (6 a.m. – 2 p.m. Wed-Sun.); Lemon Rose Bakery (8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Fri-Sun), Skagway Brewing Co. (kitchen open 4 – 9:30 p.m. Fri, 3-9:30 pm Sat, 4-9 pm Sun), The Station (kitchen open 8 am – 9 pm Fri-Sun), Sweet Tooth Cafe (7 a.m. – 2 p.m. daily) . Also there is a Burger Feed at the Elks Friday from 5:30 to 7 pm to support the Skagway School’s Climate Change Project. And of course the Awards Banquet Sat. night at the Skagway Rec. Center.
Late Registration / Bib Pick-Up & Information – Whitehorse
3:00 pm – 6:00 pm (Yukon time) – Whitehorse
Sport Yukon (4064 Fourth Ave.)
FRIDAY, MARCH 24
Late Registration / Bib Pick-Up & Information – Skagway
4:00 pm – 7:00 pm (Alaska time) – Skagway
AB Hall, Broadway between 2nd & 3rd
• BURGER FEED to support Skagway School activities 5:30-7 p.m. at Elks (6th & State)
SATURDAY, March 25
(all race times Alaska Standard Time)
6:00 am– 8:00 am –”Green Eggs & Ham” Breakfast – Presbyterian Church Rec. Hall, 5th & Main St., Skagway
SHUTTLE INFO! Shuttle bus to Log Cabin will leave from the church Rec. Hall at 7 a.m. (earlier than first posted). Sign up in Skagway at Bib Pick-up. Dave and friends also will be providing shuttle service between parking lots at Log Cabin during the race.
IMPORTANT! Due to Canada Customs now having to run all passports through their computers, there could be short delays at Fraser. If you are coming from Skagway, allow at least an extra 30 minutes so you do not miss your starting time below. We have moved them to one-half hour later than previous years, so that should help.
RACE STARTS – all at Log Cabin
- 10:00 am – 50k race starts
- 10:15 am – 25k race starts
- 10:30 am – 10k race starts
- 11:30 am – 5K kid’s race starts
- NOTE: Timing for all races ends at 3 PM!
ALSO, if you get down to Skagway early enough….
- Showers available at Skagway Rec. Center until 5 PM
DINNER & AWARDS – Skagway Rec Center
Main St. between 12th & 13th
IMPORTANT: No one under the age of 21 can attend the dinner without a parent/guardian present, per Alaska liquor laws, since beer and wine are being served on the premises. Adults please bring ID!!!
- 5:00 pm – 6:45 pm – Full Dinner provided by Skagway Brewing Co. (Menu: Hearty Beast Stew, Seafood Chowder, or GF Veggie Soup in Bread Bowl or GF Bowl with Salad and Seussical Dessert). Beer and wine available for purchase from our friends at Skagway Development Corp. with generous support from Alaskan Brewing Co. (21 & over only, must have ID).
- 7:00 pm – Awards – given by Dr. Buckwheat to the first, second and third place male and female finishers in each division. Also presentation of the Des Duncan Award, Father Mouchet Award, Best Costume Award, and Miss Buckwheat!
THEN…. Party moves to Downtown Skagway with live music at these local establishments starting around 8:30-9 p.m.:
- The Hot Toddies performing at Happy Endings Saloon.
- Brother Brother Friend performing at Skagway Brewing Co.
A FRIENDLY REMINDER – From your friends at the Buckwheat and Parks Canada.
Drinking alcoholic beverages is not allowed in the Log Cabin parking lot.
PLEASE DON’T DRINK AND DRIVE!
FOR EVERYONE’S SAFETY – NO DOGS ON RACE DAY
Be aware of the documentation requirements for U.S. and Canadian citizens crossing
into the United States and Canada. For more information call the US Port of Entry at 907-983-2325
ALLOW EXTRA TIME TO GET THROUGH BUSY BORDER STATIONS!